Image title

Image title

type your text for image here

Image title
Willkommen, Gast
Benutzername: Passwort: Angemeldet bleiben:

THEMA: Starting-problems with hot engine

Starting-problems with hot engine 3 Jahre 3 Monate her #63

The Lycoming IO 360 motor is difficult to start in warm condition, e. g. after a refuelling stop. I experienced successfully the following precedure:
1. No boost pump
2. Gas open as usual
3. Mixture shortly "rich" and then "cut-off"
4. Engine start and with ignition mixture "rich"
Der Administrator hat öffentliche Schreibrechte deaktiviert.
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: AnthonyQ

Starting-problems with hot engine 3 Jahre 3 Monate her #65

• AnthonyQ
  • AnthonyQs Avatar
  • Junior Boarder
  • Dank erhalten: 1
Thanks Werner...I too have an IO360 and have more failures than successes with hot/warm starts....very frustrating and disheartening!....I have received a lot of advice from MooneySpace and the MAPA List which I haven't had a chance to try yet....the method you describe is pretty much as per the POH....my problem I think is that I haven't continued to crank long enough....it can take 20+ seconds for it to fire and I often stop too soon....one thing Kelly McMullen suggested was that if it hasn't fired after 5 or 6 blades then very slowly start pushing the mixture in...but never more than a third of the way....I haven't had reason to try this yet...will let you know when I do...
AnthonyQ M20J 205 N60GZ
(A displaced Australian living in Scotland!)

Starting-problems with hot engine 3 Jahre 3 Monate her #69

• EDNR-Cruiser
  • EDNR-Cruisers Avatar
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Dank erhalten: 3
After I bought my M20F last spring I was completely frustrated... - I was totally unable to start the engine when hot. My first trip visiting nearby friends ended in a flooded engine and a 90 mins delay before I managed to start the engine again... - and it didn't become any better afterwards.
When I searched the internet I found an interview in Mooneypilots.com with Mooney legend David McGee and his trick saved me almost every time since then...

Here's how it goes:
1) Before shutting the engine down with the mixture lever, set it to approx. 1200 RPM, then pull the mxiture to idle.
2) Don't touch anything afterwards...
3) To start the still hot engine 15 mins until 2 hours after shutdown just crank the engine with the starter engaged until the engine starts firing (approx. 5 to 15 blades), then push mixture swiftly (not fast!) to full until engine runs.

I still struggle starting the engine any earlier than 15 mins after shutdown and it sometimes takes some attempts after more than 90 mins on the ground when the engine is not hot enough for the hot start procedure but still gets flooded with normal cold start routine.
When the engine is flooded you can either take your time and wait another hour until all the fuel has gone or follow the flooded engine procedure, which is a bit tricky but works pretty well so far..

Flooded engine start:
1) Throttle wide open, mixture to idle
2) Crank the engine with the starter until engine begins firing (usually after about 10 to 15 blades)
3) Quicky pull throttle to normal and swiftly push mixture forward to keep engine alive... - that requires some adjustment but it usually works to my surprise...

If the engine does not fire at all, wait a minute to cool down the starter, then engage the fuel pump for 2 seconds, and while cranking the engine slowly pull throttle backwards until engine fires... - at least my Lycosaurus will... :-)
Hope this helps.
Mooney M20F Executive 21, 1966, D-ECED
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: AnthonyQ

Starting-problems with hot engine 3 Jahre 3 Monate her #70

• EDNR-Cruiser
  • EDNR-Cruisers Avatar
  • Fresh Boarder
Found the link again... - though this is about a M20E engine, it does also help my M20F big time...
Hot starting the IO-360 engine

Starting-problems with hot engine 3 Jahre 3 Monate her #71

• AnthonyQ
  • AnthonyQs Avatar
  • Junior Boarder
  • Dank erhalten: 1
I also read somewhere about moving the mixture full rich for a while (around 10 seconds or more I think) before moving it back to ICO and then starting....I think that is what Werner is doing in his step 3....I don't know the logic for this but some swear by it apparently....
AnthonyQ M20J 205 N60GZ
(A displaced Australian living in Scotland!)

Starting-problems with hot engine 3 Jahre 3 Monate her #72

• EDNR-Cruiser
  • EDNR-Cruisers Avatar
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Anthony,

Yes, I read that, too, but it didn't help with my engine.
Don't know why, some say this is to release steam bubbles from the injector lines but when I try this, my engine remains quiet... - either because this pressure is missing to ignite the engine or because the pressure in the system then floods the engine even without the fuel pump engaged.
I had to follow the flooded engine procedure every time I tried this... - either by waiting for some time or do the fuel pump/starter/throttle/mixture-ballet... ;-)

Best Regards,

Bernd
Ladezeit der Seite: 0.172 Sekunden